The Directorate is responsible for statistical data generation on various sectors of the economy. It operates in all the twenty (20) Local Government Areas of the State, with two (2) zonal offices at Bauchi and Katagum Local Government Areas and fourteen (14) area offices in fourteen (14) out of the twenty (20) Local Government Areas.
Where there is no office, the nearest office is responsible for carrying out all the statistical activities of other Local Government Area. Example, Ningi office is responsible for Warji, Gamawa is responsible for Zaki, Misau is responsible for Dambam, Shira for Giade, Alkaleri for Kirfi and TafawaBalewa for Bogoro.
Some of the functions of the Directorate amongst others includes:
- Conducting surveys and general data collection and analyses in all sectors of the economy.
- Provides official statistics as an indispensable element in the information system of a democratic society by serving the government, the economy and the public with data about the economic, demographic, social and environment situation.
- Facilitate a correct interpretation of data by providing information according to statistical standard on the source, method and procedures of data collection.
- Coordinates among other statistical agencies within the state on how to achieve consistency and efficiency in the state statistical system.
- Comment on erroneous interpretation and misuse of statistics.
- Retain trust in official statistics according to professional consideration, ethics on the method, procedures for collection, processing, presentation and storage of data.
Areas of Collaboration
The Directorate collaborates with the following Agencies:
- The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS)
- The National Population Commission (NpopC)
- The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC)
- The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS)
The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) is the apex body of statistics in the federation which is also responsible for designing policy as it affects statistics in Nigeria and mandated all States in the country to establish a Bureau of Statistics and choased six (6) States in 2012, as pilot States (Bauchi, Kaduna, Niger, Edo, Anambra and Ondo) among which five (5) have already established their Bureau of Statistics except Bauchi State.
The directorate participated in several meetings at national and zonal level with strong relationship with other agencies such as:
The National Consultative Committee On Statistics (NCCS)
The National Consultative Committee on Statistics (NCCS) is a body that coordinates all statistical activities nationwide. All Directors of Statistics in the Federation are members of this body. The body normally meets twice a year (bi-annually).
The National Council On Statistics (NCS)
This is the apex body of statistics that directs the affairs of the National Consultative Committee on Statistics (NCCS). The Minister of National Planning is the Chairman of the Council.
The National Statistics Association (NSA)
This is the professional body of all statisticians throughout the Federation. This body normally meets once a year to address various statistical problems as it affects the profession. The body discusses ideas, make suggestions and recommendation in form of communique and submit to the government for possible action.
Establishment of State Statistical Bureau
Establishment of Bureau of Statistics is one of the requirement for State’s to benefit from so many financial and technical assistance. This informed the decision of the National Bureau of Statistics and European Union (EU) to support States who demonstrated commitment in this regards.
To this end, the State benefited from training of staff, in the area of capacity building and provision of logistics such as standby Generator, Toyota Hilux and other office equipment aimed at encouraging the Directorate towards the successful implementation and actualization of Bureau of Statistics under the National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS) project.
- Production of Bauchi State Statistical Year Book (SYB).
- Production of Annual Market Calendar.
- Monthly Market Prices Collection.
- Conduct Statistical Surveys and Researches.
- Attending Statistical Workshops, Seminars and Conference